Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Christmas Eve Overdose

I worked on Christmas Eve like I have for the past few years. It was mostly slow although we did have a few overdose calls. Most normal people would wonder why someone would choose Christmas Eve to overdose but for me I really wasn't surprised. After all the holidays are also referred to as the silly season. People who are generally happy will be even happier. People who are miserable will be even more so. They see constant reminders of why they are miserable and some reach their breaking point and go do something rash. I made one of the overdose calls. It was a young woman of Indian descent. When I arrived I heard her talking to officers. She said she had taken several xanax and downed a good portion of a bottle of vodka. They told me she had a journal so I grabbed it and read it. It was the writings of a girl who felt she was alone and felt she was worthless. She wrote that she had been considering killing herself for some time. She had esteem issues primarily with her weight. Now, the sad part wasn't that she was morbidly obese. She was a little bit more plump than most Indian girls (who are skinny). However I thought she had a rather nice body and had I picked her up in a bar I'd definitely go to bed with her. However to tell her any of these would have been extremely inappropriate. I did read a line where her brother called her fat. Now that was totally uncalled for. There were two young men in the house. I thought one of them would be the insensitive brother. I pulled them aside and learn they are her cousins. I ask them, as a favor to me, to tell the brother to watch his fu***** mouth around his sister especially with her being so sensitive. I'm not sure why I was upset with her dumb ass brother or why I felt so bad for her. Maybe it was because it was Christmas Eve. Or maybe it was the 'damsel in distress' syndrome. Anyway, they took her to the hospital for evaluation. I hope she gets the help she needs.

2 comments:

Ann T. said...

Dear Tenderfoot,
You're a hero on this one. Make no mistake about that.

Ann T.

Reggie said...

good for you sweety....now what bar do you hang out at???? hee hee hee