Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The big news at the moment is the alleged video tape beating of a suspect by some officers that happened about two weeks ago. I remembered an incident about 10 years ago when I worked the night shift. I went to IHOP for what turned out to be a breakfast of runny eggs, cold sausage, and stale coffee. I saw another officer eating by himself. I approached him and asked if he minded if I joined him and he said no. So we introduce ourselves and get to talking. I was brand new and he was a ten (or something close to it) year veteran and he said he was burned out. I remember him saying he was considering getting out of law enforcement altogether. About a month later a group of two guys and two girls rob an all night restaurant. One of our officers spot the getaway car leaving the scene and the chase is on! The chase goes for about half an hour up three highways and ends in a wooded area. However by the time the vehicle chase ended news helicopters had shown up. It was even broadcasted that the media was overhead. Some of the robbers flee the car and the rest stay behind but they are all caught. I remember one woman laughing! Thinking this was all a big joke. I also remember the main robber getting caught and lead back to the cars. Well the very same officer I had breakfast with the month before, the one who was considering getting out of the field walks up to the crook and slaps him! On live TV! It didn't go well for him!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think we tend to hold the police up to a higher standard than the rest of society. Not realizing they deal with the dregs of society on a daily basis. And that takes a emotional toll on them. Andthe guy needed to be more than slapped anyway