Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Reflections

I spent a few hours at a training class. I ran into my supervisor who graduated from here back in 1978. I found him talking with one of the old instructors who instructed him 30 years ago. Yeah, they go way back. I found his old graduation photo and with the exception of the hair, he doesn't look any different. He showed me pictures of his mentor and old partner. Both of whom are long dead. I can only imagine what it is like to look at a picture of yourself 30 years ago with your old partners, friends, fellow cadets etc. Then to ponder 30 years worth of stories. Some of these people are still in law enforcement. Others are retired or working in the private sector. Some wound up on the wrong side of the law. Others are dead. I am working on my 10th year in law enforcement. I wonder where I'll be in 20 years. I get a little sad to think many of the people I look up to will be gone. Some of my mentors will be dead as I fight back a reflective tear. I'll be looking at old photographs of people I know now. I probably won't remember their names, but I'll remember my time with them. I'll wonder what happened to some. I wonder how many will still be around for me and them to have a "remember the time" discussion while new, young faces walk by starting out on their journeys.

No comments: