Friday, November 21, 2008

"Because she's a girl!"

Nobody likes to hear when a fellow officer announces they've been involved in an on-duty accident. When I heard her say she was in a crash my ears perked up. She was okay and so what the other driver. Hell, it was just a tap, but since there was damage to the patrol car it has to be worked as a regular accident anyway. One thing I noticed, as she was giving details on the radio her voice was cracking up.

"Oh God!" I thought to myself. "Please don't let her start crying on the radio!"

I made the scene and sure enough, she was crying. She wasn't hurt! The whole thing wasn't that big of a deal. She just got overly emotional. When I talked to the driver of the other car that clipped her he was sympathetic. He felt bad that the officer was crying. I kept a straight face, but inside I was thinking "dammit!" Later on someone asked me;

"Hey George, was Cyn crying on the radio?"

"Yeah, she was!"

"Was she hurt?"

"Nope, not at all!"

"Why was she crying?"

I sighed. I had to think of a way to put this delicately. I thought long and hard. I can't think of any other female officer who would have cried over a tap. Most women I know would be kicking and cursing so hard I'd be blushing. Then it came to me.

"Because she's a girl!"

No comments: